Mercado de Santa Clara
Mercado Oriental is better known as Santa Clara market, by the name of the monastery, near which it is located (map). The project of the market with an area of 1250 square meters was developed by the architect Emiliano Augusto de Bettencourt in 1876. This is the first building in Portugal so-called "Iron architecture", with a metal frame and glass walls. The market was opened on October 7, 1877, it set a new standard of hygiene and purity in the food trade.
Now the main trading hall of the market is used for exhibitions and other cultural events.
The side galleries are occupied by shops with antique pieces of art, antique furniture, traditional crafts, there is a chocolate and confectionery shop. There is also a restaurant serving Portuguese cuisine.
On Tuesdays and Saturdays at the walls of the building and the nearest alleys unfolds trays and canopies of the Fira de Larde, the most famous in Lisbon flea market.